A Live Action Disaster Movie
A Grandiose Disaster is a Live Action Roleplaying Game where you play out your own character-centric disaster/horror movie! Using a set of structured scenarios, anywhere from 6 to 12 players play archetypical characters run through the wringer of the disaster. Who will you try to save? What choices do you make to survive?
Who lives, and who dies?
A Grandiose Disaster is written and designed by Mike Young. Check out more of Mike's larps and games here!
- Full-Page Character Templates
- Core Scenario print-and-play: Fire And Ice
- Core Scenario print-and-play: The Golden Valley
- Core Scenario print-and-play: Space Station Omega
- Core Scenario print-and-play: The Love Craft
- Core Scenario print-and-play: Trapped In A Mall With Some Zombies
- Single Download w/ All The Above included
- COMING SOON: Blank Scenario Template
- COMING SOON: Blank Character Template
- COMING SOON: Summary Handouts
About The Game
A Grandiose Disaster is a strongly structured character-centric short-form larp. The organizer (who can also play in the game, depending on their comfort level with handling logistics alongside play) chooses or creates a disaster/horror movie scenario. Players use a set of archetypes to create characters and establish relationships before the disaster hits. Once it does, the game turns to a struggle of survival in the face of incredible, deadly odds!
Not every character will die, but some death in inevitable. Players whose characters die still participate in the game, whether by taking on narrator duties, playing side characters, or joining the "peanut gallery" to comment on this grandiose disaster as it unfolds!
A Grandiose Disaster was funded via Kickstarter in 2016. A public release is coming soon. The core game contains all of the rules to play the game, five different Scenarios to play, and rules to create your own Scenarios. There are also four standalone Scenarios that were funded by the Kickstarter campaign, which will be available separately. The game uses cards to customize each Scenario for different kinds of characters and add custom rules, which are included as print-and-cut pages and will also be available to purchase as printed decks.
- A larp for an organizer and 6-12 players
- 2-3 hours to play
- Scenarios guide the events of play, allowing players to focus on character interactions.
- Interaction of character archetypes with scenario obstacles guides the core choices of life or death in play - there's no "stepping out of the game" to resolve conflicts.
- Runtime mechanics combine set scene-by-scene progression similar to nordic freeform with secrets-and-powers style character dynamics and abilities
- Character death does not end player participation
- Include rules for creating your own scenarios and creating custom mechanics to enhance particular genres (like Sanity to play a Cthulu scenario)
Purchase The Game
A Grandiose Disaster is available as a 124-page 8.5x11 color softcover book and Digital Bundle. It was released in 2016. The softcover is available for $20 print-on-demand via DriveThruRPG.
Direct From ndpdesign
Due to EU VAT remittance laws, I cannot fulfill PDF ONLY orders directly to EU residents. If you live in the EU, you must purchase the PDF through one of the outlets below. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Scenarios & Supplements
A Grandiose Disaster is played by selecting a Scenario. Five are included in the core game. Additional Scenarios are available as standalone PDFs and print-on-demand booklets. Each Scenario uses cards, which are provided as print-and-play sheets in your Scenario purchase; they are also available as premium poker-sized cards to make prep and play easier. Find all of the currently available Scenarios and Card Decks below (provided via DriveThruRPG).
The Gates Of Delirium: A Scenario of Colliding Realities.
The Long Way Home: A Scenario of Wilderness Survival and Cannibalism
Hatch Fever: A Scenario of Pandemic Horror
Terror at Trinity: A Scenario of Atomic Horror Survival