Selected Freelance Credits
Scroll down for examples of work.
- Layout for Katanas & Trenchcoats: Retromodern Roleplaying, by Ryan Macklin/Dice & Whatever Studios.
- Layout for The Sword, The Crown & The Unspeakable Power, by Wheel Tree Press.
- Box Design for Companion's Tale, by Laura Simpson/Sweet Potato Press.
- Kickstarter Graphics & Playtest Kit Layout for Dreamchaser, by Imagining Games LLC.
- Layout for Dungeon Grappling, by Douglas H. Cole/Gaming Ballistic LLC.
- Layout, logo and cover design for Wrath of the Autarch, by Phil Lewis.
- Layout, logo, cover and card design for Lovecraftesque, by Joshua Fox & Becky Annison.
- Layout for Undying, by Paul Riddle.
- Layout and cover design for The Thrill of Dracula, by Pelgrane Press.
- Layout & cover design for Time Cellist, by Wheel Tree Press.
- Layout & cover assemblage for Fiasco '10, Fiasco '11 and Fiasco '12, supplements for the game Fiasco, by Bully Pulpit Games.
- "Art in the Blood" Conspiracy nodes and incidental graphics for The Dracula Dossier (Pelgrane Press).
- Layout and cover design for The Last Days of Anglekite, by Brendan Conway (Magpie Games).
- Logo & Icon design for Five Fires, by Quinn Murphy.
- PDF conversion and optimization for the Fortune's Fool Deluxe Ultimate PDF Collection (Pantheon Press).
- Layout and cover design for Circle of Hands, by Ron Edwards.
- Product line logo design for Renegade Jennys and Boilerplate Jacks, by Josh Roby
- Card design for Mars Colony: 39 Dark Organization Cards, by Tim Koppang.
- Layout and cover design for the OmegaZone Campaign Guide, by Tim Rodriguez.
- Layout and cover design for Tears of a Machine, by Russell Collins
- Layout design for Sorcerer Upgrade, by Ron Edwards.
I also do all of the layout, logo and cover design for my own publications.
Who I Am
I am Nathan D. Paoletta, an independent graphic artist, game designer, small press publisher and narrative design consultant.
The narratives we weave for each other are the subject of my design practice, expressed through visual mediums (graphic design), verbal and tactile mediums (game design), and simple conversation and social interactions.
What I Do
I am always interested in freelance opportunities. Get in touch if you need:
- Layout for a print or digital publication
- Graphic design for book covers, posters or advertisements
- Design and layout for playing card publication
- A logo or title set for a creative project
- Creation or optimization of digital files for publication (including PDFs and ebooks)
Additionally, I provide the following consulting services:
- Early stage ideation to bridge the gap between your idea and how to make it a reality
- Design consultation to stress-test your design ideas and open your project up to new directions
- Review of Kickstarter projects and other crowdfunding endeavors
What About You?
I love to work with other independent creators, game designers and publishers. I believe in creator ownership and fulfilling your vision without compromising my design sensibilities. Because I am a publisher myself, I can often help smooth the path to publication, offer advice and recommend resources that compliment the services that I provide. Whether you are starting on your first project or looking for a fresh set of eyes and ideas for an established property, I am ready to help you get your work out into the world.
Nathan Paoletta is a talented graphic designer, but not just that. He takes time to understand what impact you want out of a design and what emotions you feel that you want others to feel as well. Whether you’re going for something silly and irreverent or deep and cultured, Nathan has your back. - Ryan Macklin (Project: Logo Design for Katanas & Trenchcoats)
Short Bio (feel free to copy for promotional purposes):
Nathan D. Paoletta is a graphic artist, game designer and independent publisher hailing from Chicago, IL. He publishes his own games, including the award-winning World Wide Wrestling RPG, in addition to helping other creators make their visions a reality. He makes bad jokes about pro wrestling on twitter @ndpaoletta and obsesses over The Rockford Files @TwoHundredPod . Find out more at ndpdesign.com.
Selected Examples of Work
Cover design, interior layout, title logo and supplemental card design for Lovecraftesque, a storytelling game by Joshua Fox and Becky Annison. Produced hard- and soft-cover publications as well optimized-for-digital PDF and ebooks. Art by Robin Scott.
Logo & Icon Sets
A multi-use logo design and set of icons for 5 Fires, a game of making art through hip hop. Written and published by Quinn Murphy.
Otter-themed invitation celebrating Arnold & Kelley.
(Also) otter-themed playing card favor back & matching thank-you card celebrating Becca & Rishi.
Plight of the Tuatha Adventure Path
A series of fantasy adventure modules written by William Moomaw and published by Mór Games. Compatible with the Pathfinder roleplaying game. Cover design, interior layout and Path-specific character sheets. Published in 8.5"x11" softcover and PDF.
Tears Of A Machine
Title logo, interior layout, play reference sheets, and cover design (with integrated illustration) for this role-playing game written by Russell Collins and published by Robotclaw Games. Illustrations by Jennifer Rodgers. Published in 5.5"x8.5" softcover and PDF. Also, a graphic "access card" with clear and foil reflective elements, a reward for some Kickstarter backers of the game.
Circle of Hands
Cover design, title logo and interior layout for this roleplaying game of mud-and-dung dark fantasy adventure. Written and published by Ron Edwards. Published in 8.5"x11" softcover and hardcover, and PDF.